Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bad, naughty, mean, unfair, dirty, nogoodnik eclipse!!!!

I am really in a foul mood! Why? you might ask. Because I can't see the eclipse!!!  Well of course I can see pictures of it, and I have seen eclipses before, the one in 1994 being particularly memorable.  At least in part  because of the unearthly root beer color of the cloudy sky. 'Twas truly cool beans.   And to my shock none of my co-worker knew that there was an eclipse that day.  The advent of the social media has taken us far.

But since I feel the need to take this entirely too personally, and I do know the Universe is not against me, it just doesn't feel that way at the moment, I want to share the poem that one of my favorite quotes comes from before I go back to sulking.



"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."








The Old Astronomer to His Pupil

Tycho Brahe
Reach me down my Tycho Brahe, I would know him when we meet,
When I share my later science, sitting humbly at his feet;
He may know the law of all things, yet be ignorant of how
We are working to completion, working on from then to now.

Pray remember that I leave you all my theory complete,
Lacking only certain data for your adding, as is meet,
And remember men will scorn it, 'tis original and true,
And the obliquy of newness may fall bitterly on you.
 
But, my pupil, as my pupil you have learned the worth of scorn,
You have laughed with me at pity, we have joyed to be forlorn,
What for us are all distractions of men's fellowship and smiles;
What for us the Goddess Pleasure with her meretricious smiles
.
You may tell that German College that their honor comes too late,
But they must not waste repentance on the grizzly savant's fate.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Sarah Williams

guest blogger on 50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes

 Norma  Jean Mortenson,  thank you!         50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes That'll Make You Feel Empowered, Inspired and C...