Monday, February 7, 2011

In praise of the local weekly

One of the first things I do when I go anywhere is to buy buy a local newspaper. I subscribe to two delightful local weekly papers, always the most fought over reading material in the house.
They are not only pleasantly devoid of national news, I have 24 hour news channels for that. But they are remarkably relevant to everyday life. All the local happenings, festivities and notices. "hatchens' matchens and snatchens", all carefully reported and I though I don't always know the people being reported on personally, I recognize their names.
There is always a bit of local history to read about and often wonderful photos of days gone by.
I am always curious about the past, why was this place called Sugar Creek? What was the name of the town that left all of these foundation stones? what happened to the town that is now only a name on a map?
There are the columns written by everyone from a retired English teacher( retired but not slowed down), a minister with a real flare for words, the Home Economist,and even the newspaper Editors them selves. Over the years I have come to know the families and the thoughts of these people, through their writing.
And of course there are the tried and true recipes, which thought seldom healthy are always heartily enjoyed. The best part of this is that if you read a July issue in February, you don't really feel like its "old news" , it is more like a long overdue letter.

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...