Saturday, June 28, 2008

Recycling.......




We borrow the earth from out grandchildren, and we inherit it from our parents......as I have heard it said.And that is why I recycle, anything and everything, except lunch bags. I know people who wash and dry those filmy little germ havens but......not me. Reuse, recycle and repurpose. Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. And if it is overpackaged, I just won't buy it.But, this is getting ridiculous. There is no curbside pick up where I live, might be in part do to there being no curbs. This requires me to thouroghly wash all the food containers, and store them until I have enough to make the trip worthwhile. So over time I have developed my own recycling program, and yesterday was recycling day.I loaded up my Subaru, and started out, large plastic containers, margerine,coolwhip,yogurt, for use in food storage after fellowship etc dinners, were dropped off at church, where I picked up paper, cardboard etc. to add to my stash. Then on down the road to drop off green and brown glass[ out here not all towns even accept glass]. Next stop, several miles down the road is plastic (1&2only) and steel cans, recycled by the boy scouts, who bless thier littl e hearts will let you deposit the items in plastic bags, something many places will not do. And on we go to sell out accumulated aluminum cans{paid for the gas anyway. Keep on crusin, keep on crusin" to a little shop that take all of the packing peanuts, small cardbard boxes and bubble wrap to reuse, and happens to be next to the place where I can recycle batteries. The shop keeper asked me it I would drop off cardboard for her and also some magazines......so OK because I'm obsessed. A quick iced tea and I'm back on the road to drop of cardboard, magazines, and cotton fabric. By this time my car is finally has some room in it, I have a few small boxes of scrap metal left, and some cores, this is the fun stop, I like scrap yards, it reminds me of when I was little and I would go to the garbage dump with my Dad, we would pay a small fee and then drive up to the top of the hill stop and get out and toss the useless items down into a raven. There was also a large boiler at the scrap yard which I needed get a good look at.


It was by this time lunch time, and I was ready . Nothing better than than a Reuben, on homemade rye, ad a little air conditioning.


The last stop is for a small box of clear glass, the collection box is located across from the grocery store, so with my mind on the delights of day old donuts, I emerge with day old vegetables and bread.


guest blogger on 50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes

 Norma  Jean Mortenson,  thank you!         50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes That'll Make You Feel Empowered, Inspired and C...