Sunday, October 13, 2024

why are there coins on some graves!?!

Graveyards,where many find it disturbing to walk, are very quiet places, good place to walk around and think. Our Victorian ancestors would enjoy picnicking there on a Sunday afternoon. History buffs like me, look at the names and dates on stones,and the beautiful stones themselves.  One might call that historical or genealogical research,could be a bit of soul searching as well. I for one do not believe that the spirits of the dead hang out at their grave site. Graves are a tribute, a memorial. 

 

So where am I going with all of this?  Several times I have noticed a few coins on a headstone and for a very long time I thought this must be an extension of the coins left on the body to pay Charon, the ferryman who transported the dead from the land of the living across the river Styx, safely to, Hades, the land of the dead.  

OK, I was wrong!!!!  the next time I see cons on a grave, I will add a few more.  

 

S.P.I.R.I.T Paranormal  on Facebook

 
Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited. A nickel indicates that you & the deceased trained at boot camp together,while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the solider when he was killed. According to tradition, the money left at graves in national cemeteries & state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected, & the funds are put toward maintaining the cemeteries

 

guesr blogger Sheeka Sanahori , Surprise! You Own a Long-Lost Cemetery

I read this with great interest because I know a family who bought a rambling old farmhouse and discovered that there was a small cemetery o...