It's been so very long, and I can still remember how good these cookies were. It was a big deal to get a festive plate of Helen's sugar cookies. Ah how I wish, and I wished for that for may years. One evening as I was putting books into my new yard sale find bookcase, I paused to look at a cook book she had given me years before. There was her handwritten recipe. I could try at least to make those wonderful cookies. However did I overlook that, but never mind.
Over time I have added a dash of spice, or some ground up pecans, even chocolate bits. They always tasted good, even when they looked kinda funny . Colored sugar or a spread of frosting are never fail favorites. Often I will double the recipe and when I do that I use a mixer. Just don't don't let the dough get warmed up sitting out on the counter.
happy baking
I could try. and I did try. And now can share.
Helen's sugar cookies.
2 3/4 flour
1 tesp baking soda
1/2 tesp baking powder
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cup of white sugar
1 egg
1 tesp vanilla
Preheat oven to 375 F
Stir together baking soda, baking powder and flour then set aside. Cream together sugar and butter until smooth and light then beat in egg and vanilla. Then blend flour mixture in gradually.
Roll dough into walnut sized balls and space 2 inches apart on a ungreased baking sheet, bake cookies for 8 to 10 min, allow cookies to cool for a short time, then remove them to wire racks to finish cooling.
Don't let the dough get warm, these cookies will be much better, if you keep the dough chilled, it is a good idea to keep the cookie "walnuts" that are on a cookie sheet waiting to be baked in the fridge until they can be baked.
You can roll out the dough and us it for cut out cookies .
