Rudeneja, , just knew there had to be a word for it!
Rudeneja is a Lithuanian word that describes the way nature and/or the weather begins to feel like Autumn. It is a term that evokes the emotional experience of the season, rather than its physical characteristics 1.
The word rudeneja is often used to describe the changing colors of the dying leaves as they begin their last great dance before mouldering away 1. It is also associated with the sound of crispy, crackling branches and leaves, bright apple cheeks, cozy sweaters, warm fires, and bountiful harvests being stockpiled for the Winter yet to come 1.
In essence, rudeneja is a word that captures the essence of Autumn in all its glory. It’s a time when nature prepares for hibernation, and in a way so do we.
~~~~~~courtesy of BING
I can't help but agree, that in this time just before Earth drifts into dormancy, the beautiful colors of autumn and the harvest, the strong sun, even the wisps of wood and coal smoke are, a promise that this will all return, refreshed and ready to recreate itself. Gaia grows weary and looks forward to a few peaceful months of dormancy. As do we humans, well some of us anyway.
Life is still at work, under the earth roots grow, life is quickening in the among the farm and woodland animals. Experience tells us the short span of daylight will get longer,even as the cold gets deeper. Not that it always seems like it will, eventually it does. Each day grows more quite, each day brings a slower pace and urges us to get ready for the coming stillness of winter.
I can remember, sometimes fondly, the rush to get all the canning done, the the wood cut and stacked,all the supplies bought, the pantry stocked, a few new books bought or exchanged with friend. A new pair or 3 of mittens and gloves,yarn and fabric, the list is long. I could go on, but won't.
Each sunset is earlier and each dawn is later, I can no longer trust the sun to be my alarm clock, and I can dream of what I will read, and what I will make. And just about this time there is a streak of days that allow me to get just a few more outdoor jobs dome....thank you to whoever is responsible for that....I could call you a lifesaver, and it times past these few days could be just that, now having these small jobs done they won't would nag me all winter.
The moon and stars are spectacular in the velvet night sky. The stillness, or is it the crisp air make the wonder of the the night sky more wonderful! It is a wonder on those nights, for me, my thoughts and questions and musings run wild in their presence.
Then there are those days. those days, when the weather turns dark and nasty, and I think it's a good ideas to just hibernate.


