This is very similar to a bread that graced the table on Easter, I tried making it into small loaves. I don't know how it turned out, because when I got around to tasting it, it had been mistaken for hoagie rolls and....poor me got none.
Monti's Roman Bread
photo by Sir Chef Cory
1 Loaf
ingredients
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (1 Package)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water (100 degrees)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- dried rosemary
- oil, as needed
- salt, as needed
directions
- Add Sugar and yeast to lukewarm water and stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add flour, salt and onion.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and let rise until double in size.
- Punch it down, flatten out dough on an oiled cookie sheet to about an inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt and dried Rosemary.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.