Early early this morning while the frost was thick over the fields, I watched the eclipse of the Full Beaver moon. , Standing on the porch, with my blanket and coffee and watching the eclipse progress. Admiring the gracefulness of the deer in the field and listened to the owls for awhile. a bear loped along the edge of the woods, and coyotes sang their eerie greetings, away off in the distance. Eventually the frosty chill made the warmth of the stoker and my favorite chair too inviting to resist.
And there I watched the eclipe until I fell back to a deep sleep just before the conclusion of the the last full lunar eclipse for 3 years.
When I woke, I woke from a dream that looked like an outtake from a Ken Burns documentary. It started me thinking about the impending winter. The Full Beaver Moon, signals the coming of winter when though life continues, we don't often see, it. Beaver spend most of winter under the ice, or in their dens, but they are well equipped for the cold.
In the same way people prepare for winter, winter affords us time to rest and repair before the Spring to come. So anyroad, I like to think that the this full moon signals the start of a new beginning also, a new personal beginning. A few months to grow, learn, to bolster your confidence and then go forth again .
So as the earth is dormant, like you the trees, berry bushes even the very soil are building infrastructure, to make them strong.
- Little Winter Moon (Tahch’asap’aratohku) Tunica – Native American origins
- Mourning Moon – if November’s Moon is the last Full Moon before the Winter Solstice, it’s known as the Mourning Moon.
- Milk Moon – pre-colonial South Africa (source: Centre for Astronomical Heritage)
- Leaf Fall Moon (Yapa Huktugere Nuti) Catawba – Native American origins
- Darkest Depths Moon – Celtic origins
- Moving Inside for Winter – Kalapuya Native American origins
- Slaughter or Butcher month – Norse origins (source: Nordic Culture – Skjalden)
- Much White Frost on Grass – Algonquin Native American origins
~~~~thank you whoever compiled this list
