Sunday, October 9, 2022

Full Hunter's Moon October 9th; its peak will be at 4:55 p.m. EST.

 

The full Hunter's moon will peek at 4:55 EST, long before it rises above the horizon tonight.  Which amuses me, being a person who lives by the agrarian calendar and has for years lived in the woods and lived amid the bounty the land, the fruits of my orchard and my garden whenever possible.  I know that the Hunter;s moon follows the Harvest moon, and precedes the start of winter.  And somehow I am never ready,never feel ready, as the year turns from the beautiful colors and sights 0f Fall into the dormancy of winter.  Although that might sound like sadness to some, it really heavily weighted toward starting a new phase in ordinary life. The harvest is in, it is time to begin hunting.  Hunting for rest for body and spirit.

For most of the year, as our ancestors did, I spend  much of my time outdoors, and that just isn't the case during the cold months, the dormant months.  

The Hunters Moon is often not a brilliant, it has a touch of autumnal color, caused by atmospheric conditions.  Like the turning leaves it is a really beautiful reminder as are the turning leaves of Gaia's promise that the earth will warm and bloom again.

In the meantime our ancestors had the time to turn inward and be thoughtful, wonder and learn; repair tools, and create.  For the word Hunter means more than hunting for game, or foraging, it also mean, too seek answers.

 In one of those rare years when the full moon appeared in the sky during the day, sun and moon together.   I was loading groceries into my SUV, a woman got out of the car next to me and .must have noticed that I was looking at the sky "That's the full Hunter's moon.  What are you hunting for."  I replied, "Nothing and everything." 

"That's a good answer." she said.

 


October Hunter’s Moon

Me, the Farmer's Almanac , and the full moon of July of 2026

    First of all let me say that The Farmers Almanac has become , a favorite "yard sale find", next only to insulators. Though Jul...