Thursday, May 31, 2018

Thanks for the idea!








So, someone sent me this anonymously, they also forgot to include a credit.  

Hmmm, I wonder why they sent me this.  My guess it was to encourage me to write about gardening.  Which I haven't done much of lately,  it is subject I am told I get very poetic on.  the last few years have been loaded with sad and difficult hills to climb, but I always felt  better in my usually overgrown garden, and I really felt better when munching on the harvest, especially the tomatoes.  I can taste them now, sweet and still warm from the sun. In the dark and cold of February I thought a lot about the Longkeeper tomatoes I used to grow, how I would wrap them in paper and put them into trays in the spare room, checking on them frequently , removing the ones that  were going bad so that we often had garden tomatoes until Valentines day. 

But today, on this very hottest day of the year so far, I am tiling, with my trusty Troybuilt named "Tilly".  I love  walking along beside my tiller, dreaming of plump sweet tomatoes, refreshing cukes, and giant orange globes of pumpkin that will end up in cobblers or as Jack-O-Lanterns.  Listening to birdsong, sometimes calling back and waiting for a reply.  I watch the clouds  glide along and look for shapes, when I am not watching my feet because tillers, though slow moving are still potentially dangerous.  The welcome breeze is refreshing,  as I watch for wee small frogs to "shoo" out of Tilly's path.  Tilly needs a sign that says, "I break for frogs and toads."

After 30 plus years it is rare that I find a button or marble, even shards of dishes are getting few and far between, I have windowsills lined with Mason jars full to the brim with shards to show for my habit.

Numerous times I have read and heard  claims about gardeners, even people who have only windowsill gardens, living longer and higher quality lives.   



7 Ways Gardening Can Improve Your Mental Health

Bad day? Stressful afternoon? Find out how digging in the dirt and tending to your garden can melt away stress and improve your outlook on life. Here are 7 amazing things planting, weeding, and tending to your garden can do for you.
Gardening Can Improve Your Mental Health

Make you happier

It’s not just a coincidence that your mood improves while gardening. Studies have shown that bacteria commonly found in soil releases the feel-good brain chemical serotonin.

Ease stress

Need to unwind? After a busy day of work and running around, getting outside and surrounding yourself with the beauty of your garden, fresh air, and sunlight can make your stress levels plummet.

Lower your risk for dementia

The mental effort and creativity needed to plan and tend to your garden combined with the physical nature of gardening is an effective one-two punch when it comes to reducing your risk for dementia.


Reduce feelings of anger and frustration

Digging, weeding, pruning, and cutting provide an ideal outlet for you to vent your frustrations. Additionally, the smells and sounds of nature calm you down and before you know it, your feelings of anger are a thing of the past.

Improve your sense of well-being

Worrying about something? Got a lot on your mind? Gardening can provide an escape, help you forget your troubles, and improve your mood.

Boost mental clarity

We all need a respite, even for just a short period, from our hectic lives. The quiet, meditative nature of gardening can be restorative and helps repair our attention-fatigued minds.

Increase feelings of accomplishment

Weeding and deadheading (removing old blooms) can be rewarding activities. These repetitive tasks can lead to increased feelings of accomplishment and a positive mood.


guest blogger on 50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes

 Norma  Jean Mortenson,  thank you!         50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes That'll Make You Feel Empowered, Inspired and C...