Friday, December 1, 2017

cold rain warm house




It's cold.  Sweatshirt and jeans, stew on the burner, chilled to the bone weather.   A mix of sleet and rain pelts the windows, I like the sound of rain on the roof  and on the windows, not the sleet, it signals that winter is pretty much here.  The days are getting shorter, and my part of the world is going dormant, and it is something I want to do during the winter months, draw inward and contemplate the stillness.  As always I collected up some books to read, come up with a few projects to keep me busy, but who's kidding who, what I will really be doing in daydreaming.

As I type the kitchen windows are fogged over by steam from putting by the few veggies that remain, not enough of them to can, so the onions get dried and the rest get blanched and bagged up for the freezer.  And there you have it another harvest gone by.  They will be soups and stews for the long indoor months ahead, filled with the  sunshine stored in those veggies, a dash of extra flavor for my soups.  This year winter promises to be longer and colder than the last few.

Having reached the age where I can just stay home, this will be a new experience for me, and I hope I will enjoy it as much as I think I will. Truly I will get to hibernate, just wondering if hibernation is a good as it sounds.  Dear readers, you will probably be among the first to know.

Over the years I have spent a lot of time deriding the romantic notion of winter being cozy.  And I haven't changed my mind about that, I still don't look forward to it with any enthusiasm, but at least I will try to make  my own peace with it.





YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...