Saturday, December 12, 2015

a Christmas snow

What is it about snow, you can love it and hate it at the same time.  The first snow of the season halted classes even in High School for a few minutes, watching those scanty little flakes fall was infinitely more interesting than Algerbra, or any other subject for that matter.

Even though I'm still not a fan of snow, I have to admit that there is something almost magically transfixing about the first snowfall.  To me at least it is tranquil, gentle and silent, after the excitement and rush of summer and fall, it was about staying home and curling up with a good book.  And may-be some sled riding.  And after all these years it still is, only I have traded the sled riding for walking, most of the time anyway.  An opinion that lasts until I think there is more snow than there needs to be.  How much is too much?  Not that much really. 

Snow floating and fluttering down peaceably covering the bare trees and browned grass, the muddy spots and whatever, makes the world look fresh and new, and it really smells good too.  From the tiny icy flakes to the huge lake effect flakes that turn the world into a giant snowglobe, they are all beautiful in their own way.  Recalling the Dickensian, Victorian and Home for the Holidays images we have of Christmas.  Christmas is celebrated  across much of the globe, but comparatively few places have snow. The greeting card images of snow covered landscapes as close to snow and many will ever get. 


Most years there is Christmas snow, and I for one am convinced that Christmas snow  is magical.  Years  ago my little family spent Christmas Eve with my parents and stayed over so that they could see my then very young son open his presents.  There is no nothing like watching kids open presents on Christmas morning, even when this isn't any snow.  Then the "grown ups" opened their gifts, most were sensible things, like socks, the last package to be opened was for me, it was the carefully sanded and painted toy train that my Father got for Christmas and had lost 70 years ago, he found it while  working on the house.  I was overcome.  I held that little train in my hands during the long trip home, as I watched my son sleeping in his car seat. My heart was truly filled with Christmas joy.
Still miles from home I said, "If there is anything that could make this Christmas more perfect, it would be a little snow."  Hubby replied " Especially if it starts closer to home."   The trip continued on in silence, and less than two miles from home, tiny snowflakes began to appear on the windshield. By the time we turned into our driveway, the snowflakes had turned into big fluffy lake effect flurries.
 









YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...