Monday, July 20, 2015

the plate

 
 
When I first saw this wonderful plate I immediately wanted one, in fact I wanted to make one , harkening back to the old days when every Tuesday was ceramics class.   It also reminded me of something I say often. 
 
"You cannot serve from and empty plate."
 
I'm not sure to whom I should  credit this quote  I have been saying it so long that it is just possible I'm the one who can be credited with this version of a quote from  Eleanor Brownn's "You cannot serve from and empty vessel."; taken from her writings the full quote is "Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel."  And that is something you would be hard pressed to argue with.  The vessel is a metaphor for the soul, or at least that is my feeling.

  
The words on the plate rang through my soul!
So I Googled it, who wrote this I must know. and I still don't know.
Though I do know that plates heaped with food  were traditional gifts at Christmas time in Feudal England. The Lord of the Manor would provide them for each person or household on his estate. 
The perpetually connected electronic chatter we all enjoy is a good thing, but it doesn't have the bonding power of personal contact, the bonding power  that "breaking bread" has, sharing food is a powerful thing.   Our ancestors understood that,  they understood not only the physical benefits of sharing food, but the emotional ones also. 
 
  I guess that  is why I like it so much;  many people pass around plates of cookies during the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays, but why just do it then. You never know how far your plate will travel, how many people will enjoy it,  or how many people will start a plate of their own, it's the celebration of the spirit of giving , it lifts the giver and much as the recipient.  You could/make your own plate if you want.  

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...