Saturday, July 30, 2011

Christmas in July



Christmas in July, what a refreshing thought.
A few refreshing snowflakes, pretty lights, a crackling fire in the fireplace, and the smell of pine, on a night when it is 81 degrees and humid, these are pleasant thoughts, even for someone who dislikes winter as much as I do. Being soaked with sweat even when one is sitting still, is enough to make me reassess my opinion.
So I watched "A Christmas Story". and thought about what a great marketing idea Christmas in july is. In the soft glow of the "electric campfire" I relived the excitement of child hood Christmases, when I almost never got what I really wanted. Looking at all the wonderful toys and trinkets in Department Store, when there still were department stores, and talking to Santa, the sparkle and shine of decorations, a the anticipation that this might be the year that I would get that perfect gift.

Long ago I learned there is no perfect gift, even if you buy it for yourself. The good feelings are in the anticipation, the sharing and of course for me the decorating. The gift is the light is someone else's eyes.

Several years back, I made a Santa suit for my son. He only used it 3 or 4 times. One year iIwore it because a local group need a Santa and couldn't find one, Now with that in mind take a good look at this picture.

Guest blogger

The kites against a cerulean sky caught my attention, so decided to read the article.  Kite flying is something I have always enjoyed , keep...