Friday, March 25, 2011

the lights go out



It rained, rain
it iced, ice
it blew,wind
then it snowed. snow!!!

then the power went out
then the phone went out
then...I went to bed

I stumbled up the steps and smacked into the door frame, I should have turned on the flashlight, but, I was conserving batteries, because out here you never know how long a outage will last.
That is why I have an electric cook stove, and electric clocks.
Errrrr, no that can't be right.
Curled up under the flannel sheets and quilt and Mexican wool blanket, there in the dim light from outside I drifted off into a peaceful world of dreams.

Woke as usual, right before 7, but the house was still dark and sleet was tapping on the windows, and still no power.
The perfect excuse to enjoy and Coke and cookies for breakfast. Coke and cookies by candlelight,
what more could I ask for.

It is almost normal for the power to go out here, and when I get tired of playing "olden days" I can just go out and start the generator. But I usually don't, unless the outage goes on long enough for me to be concerned about the freezer thawing out.

I love the silence, it is awesomely powerful. Living so near a major road, people keep asking if the traffic noise bothers us. Quite simply it is just background noise, and there really isn't that much traffic to hear. However when there is little or no traffic, I do notice it's absence.

But thIs morning was muted, in color and in sound. And I was in no hurry for the power to come back on.

Guest blogger on Tsougrisma: The Greek Easter Egg Game

It's nearly here!   Tsougrisma: The Greek Easter Egg Game   Wooden spoons and a straw nest holding Greek red Easter eggs.   © Provided ...