Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Thirty days has September


"Thirty days has September...." in which to do her work, and most years all of the seasons are represented.
Spring's thunder and Summer's heat, Autumn's chill and some years Winter's snow.

This morning was a gorgeous, sunny, pleasant temperature, and gentle breezes.
And then I looked at the maples beside the garage, in the early morning glow their leaved had a golden hue, very pretty, very picturesque, enough to throw me into a bad mood for the whole day.
Autumn is a beautiful season, but it is followed by winter, which I would just as soon hibernate through. Our great, great great grandparents enjoyed a sort of hibernation, with the snow covering woods and field there was little work that could be done outdoors. That has all changed, with central heat and central air, making the seasonal changes less noticeable in our lives, or at least some of our lives , especially for the vast majority who work indoors. For those of us who get dragged along with them kicking and screaming about how much we wish we could sleep through the winter and wake up in the spring, there is precious little comfort in seed catalogs and waiting for the snow to melt while we put still another scuttle of coal on the the ravenous fire.

Each season has it's worth, I keep telling myself. Now being the season of the ripe tomato, just picked warm from the sun, a food not only for the body but for the spirit. I wish there was a way to preserve this exact moment and enjoy it any time I wanted. If that were possible, may-be I wouldn't want to, it would make the experience that much less rare, and intense.

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...