Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Forgotten daffodils

I was driving home through the woods and seeing forgotten daffodils, and jonquils, blooming there, near what remains of some steps, I stopped and walked along what might have been a sidewalk, certainly something made of cement between a row of Norway Spruce, to find a cellar, and there a bottle that once held root beer extract, almost as if it had been left there for me. There had been a town there years ago, I was told it had a barbershop and a candy shop, two stables and a hotel, a railroad station and a general store, boarding house, churches and saloon. All that remains are the daffodil, rhubarb, forsythia and apple trees. It is possible to find, horseradish, iris and many other plants growing wild and a few foundation stones. In some spots, there will be apple trees in a clump, still producing usable apples, some of these mark the sights of old logging camps, where the cook just tossed out the peels and cores and apple trees grew, or so the story goes.

Bubbling over with curiosity I keep walking imagining what it must have been like to live here in the time when this little town was still a town. Walking between rows of pine trees which opened onto a wild tangle of roses, ivy, and shrubs, but most amazingly, asparagus, which I know grows wild, but I don't think this is...and of course rhubarb, for pies and jam, and just stewed one of the first things to come from the garden.Tart and tasty with a generous amount of sugar what a treat it must have been. I stopped awhile to rebuild the scene in my mind. To stop and think of the continuity of life.......how long the house had been gone, I can't say but standing there I felt the pride and satisfaction the gardener must have taken in his/her work so many years ago.
The forgotten daffodils, and jonquils, blooming there, near some steps.
In a few weeks time the woods will again hide this place.

Full pink moon April 23

    phlox, wood hyacinth look up at the full pink moon dew glows in it's light